This guide with provide you the basics to get up and running with your FileTransfers.net site. You may wish to print this guide for easy reference.
After a site administrator creates your account, you will receive an email with your username and temporary password. Go to the web address indicated in the email and log in with your username and temporary password. You will then see a screen that will allow you to create your own password (consistent with the password requirements of the site). After logging in you will see a screen similar to the one below.
(Orange numbers correspond to the orange circles in the user interface screen shown above.)
The workspaces you belong to will appear in the Your Workspaces area on the left side of your screen. To change the Workspace you’re in, simply click the name of another workspace. If you belong to more than 15 workspaces, you can click View Options to choose different ways to view those workspaces. Clicking More will show additional workspaces not currently shown.
- To navigate into folders, simply click the folder name.
- To navigate back up, click on the appropriate folder name in the Location path or click Previous Location.
Create Folders* (3)
Click the Create Folder button and type in the name for your folder (adhering to the requirements indicated under the name field).
Upload/Send Files* (4)
You can upload individual files or multiple files/folders at once using either drag-and-drop or browse-to-select. CAUTION: Don’t close or quit your browser window during transfer or your upload will be canceled.
- First, navigate to the workspace/folder you wish to upload the file(s) to and then click the Upload/Send Files button.
- Drag files from your computer to the “Drag Files Here” area on the left. NOTE: You can drag-and-drop multiple files in any browser, but only Google’s Chrome will let you drag-and-drop folders. To upload folders in other browsers, see “Batch Upload via ZIP” below.
- Select any Preferences or Send Notification recipients you wish in the appropriate areas of the screen. Send Notification recipients will receive an email with a link to download the file(s).
- When ready, click Upload Files (or Cancel).
- Follow the same instructions as above, but instead of dragging and dropping files, click the Upload/Send Files button and click “browse and select files”. Navigate to your file(s) and click to select. You can hold Shift or Ctrl/Alt keys to select multiple files. Click Open.
Batch Upload via ZIP*
- Create a ZIP archive of the files and/or folders you wish to upload. If you need help creating a ZIP archive, click the Need help creating a ZIP file? link.
- First, navigate to the workspace/folder you wish to upload files to and then click the
Upload/Send Files button and then the Batch Upload via ZIP link
- Drag and drop the ZIP file into the “Drag a ZIP File Here” window or click “or browse and select a ZIP file” and choose your file.
- Select any Preferences or Send Notification recipients, and when ready click Upload Files.
Actions Menu (5)
First click the gray down arrow to the right of the file or folder name.
- To Download a file, click the Download* icon (you can also simply click the file name itself).
- To send a file to someone, click the Send* icon and enter the person’s email or username, or click See All Users and select their name from the list.
- Clicking Create Public Link* will let you create a link to a file that you can then copy and paste elsewhere, like in an email.
- Click Move* or Copy* and then choose a destination for the file to be moved or copied to.
- Rename* allows you change the file name.
- File ID lets you add/change the File ID, a short annotation used to identify files (like a tag).
- To delete a file, click Delete*.
- Schedule Delete* let's you set the number of days in the future when the file will automatically delete.
To search for a particular file (or set of files) within your current window, enter your search term in the field to the left of Search and click the Search button. The results will appear in the file listing below. Click Clear Results in the yellow box to show all files again.
Advanced Search (7)
To search for files or folders within all of the workspaces you belong to, click the Advanced Search button, which will open a window below the button to allow you to search by several different criteria. Enter your search term(s) and click blue Search button at the bottom of the window. The results will appear in the file listing below. Click Clear Results in the yellow box to show all files again or Modify Results to change the search terms.
If you require additional help in using the FileTransfers.net site, click the Help link. There you can get contact information for asking questions or requesting more help.
When finished using the system, always click the Logout button to prevent anyone else from accessing your site from your computer without your knowledge. The site will automatically log you out after 30 minutes of inactivity.
*If you’ve been granted these permissions by an Administrator.
Article is closed for comments.